RepositorySpecial Collections Archives (GB 0029)
Ref NoEUL UA/P/1b/5
Extent8 files plus glass plate negatives and oversize items.
TitleUniversity photographs: Streatham campus: central buildings
DescriptionPhotographs (including oversize) and glass plate negatives of the central buildings on the Streatham campus, comprising the following: Great Hall, Libraries, Mary Harris Memorial Chapel, Northcote House (including the Senate Chamber), Northcott Theatre, Peter Chalk Centre and Sports Hall, Swimming Pool and Taylor Pavilion (arranged individually by file). A detailed description of each building is given below:

i) Great Hall
One file of interior and exterior views, including some of site before construction [1960s-1970s]. Also glass plate negatives. The Great Hall was inaugurated in 1964 with a concert given by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Sir Adrian Boult.

ii) Higher Hoopern Farm
One file containing an aerial view and a general perspective.

iii) Libraries
One file containing photographs of the Roborough Library, Main Library and Old Library. Also glass plate negatives. Roborough photographs include interior and exterior views [1950s-1970s] together with four pictures after its conversion into a Drama Studio. The Roborough Library was completed in 1940 and named after Lord Roborough (d 1938), formerly Sir Henry Lopes. It contained places for 150 readers and about 130,000 books. Old Library photographs include the site before construction, issue desk and exhibition areas, periodicals and reading rooms, the Muslim prayer room and some early automation equipment [1960s-1980s]. The Old Library was completed in 1965 with a capacity of 400,000 books and places for about 400 readers. Also includes the official opening of the Library on 10 May 1966 by Sir Frank Francis, K C B, Director and Principal Librarian of the British Museum and the opening in 1997 of the Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture (photograph shows Peter Jewell, Joanna David and Duncan Petrie). Main Library photographs comprise one exterior view and one study carrel [1980s]. The Main Library (originally called the Rashid Building though this title was later abandoned) was built following a donation of £750,000 from the Ruler of Dubai together with University Graduate Club funds and opened in 1983.

iv) Mary Harris Memorial Chapel
One file of photographs comprising interior and exterior views [1970s] plus glass plate negatives. The opening of the Chapel was by the Lord Bishop of Exeter in Jun 1958. The Chapel was built by E Vincent Harris, the University's architect, in memory of his mother. W. T. Monnington, PRA, designed the painted ceiling.

v) Northcote House
One file containing exterior views of Northcote House and interior photographs and oversize photographs of the Senate Chamber [1950s-1970s]. Also glass plate negatives. Completed in 1960, the building is named after Sir Stafford Northcote, first Earl Iddesleigh.

vi) Northcott Theatre
One file comprising exterior photographs before, during and after construction together with some views of the stage and auditorium [1960s-1970s]. Also glass plate negatives. Completed in 1967, the building is named after Mr G V Northcott who gave most of the money for its construction.

vii) Peter Chalk Centre
One file containing two photographs [1990s]. The conference centre is named after a former treasurer.

viii)Sports Hall / Swimming Pool / Taylor Pavilion
One file of assorted interior and exterior photographs [1960s-1970s]. Also glass plate negatives. The Taylor Pavilion was completed in 1954 and is named after Sir Thomas Taylor, Principal of the University College of the South West, 1952-1953.
Access StatusOpen
ArrangementArranged alphabetically in files by name of building.
Creator_NameUniversity College of the South West of England
University of Exeter
The Guardian
Dart and Bernard; photographic studio
Western Morning News
Keen; Eric; photographer
Keynon; S W; photographer
Skyviews and General; photographic studio
Toyne; Nicholas (1934-); photographer and Jerome Dessain; photographic studio
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024