RepositorySpecial Collections Archives (GB 0029)
Ref NoEUL UA/P/2a
Date[1890s-1920s]
LevelFile
Extent1 file plus glass plate negatives and oversize items
TitleUniversity photographs: people: pre-UCSWE officials
DescriptionPhotographs (including oversize) and glass plate negatives of officials and students in the period before the University College of the South West of England came into being in 1922. The contents of the file are as follows:

i) Jessie Montgomery
Secretary of the University Extension Committee, 1888-1918. The Exeter Technical and University Extension College, formed in 1893 and renamed the Royal Albert Memorial College in 1900, constitutes a major stage in the evolution of the University of Exeter.

ii) Arthur W Clayden
First Principal of the Exeter Technical and University Extension College and, later, the Royal Albert Memorial College, 1893-1920. Clayden, completed in 1954 as the residence of Sir James Cook (Vice-Chancellor 1955-1966) and latterly the practice rooms of the Department of Music, is named after him.

iii) Hector (H J W) Hetherington
Principal of the Royal Albert Memorial College and of the University College of the South West of England from 1922-1924. Hetherington House (Duryard Halls) is named after him. Sir Hector Hetherington became an honorary graduand in 1956 when the new University, in celebration of the Charter, held a congregation for the installation of the Chancellor and to confer such degrees.

iv) James G. Owen
Later Sir James Owen, he was proprietor of the Express and Echo and chairman of the college appeal committee. He later became a Life Member of the Court of UCSWE. James Owen Court, a hall of residence in Sidwell Street, is named after him.

v) Arthur Knott Woodbridge
Registrar 1904-1947, whose long career at Exeter spanned the UGC award granting university college status. The photograph is of his retirement presentation at Reed Hall and also shows Professor Stanley H Watkins, then Deputy Principal of UCSWE and briefly Acting Principal in 1952 in succession to F H Newman together with L J Lloyd, Librarian 1946-1972.

vi) Principal Arthur Clayden, staff and students [1890s-1920s]
FormatPhotograph
Access StatusOpen
Creator_NameRoyal Albert Memorial College; Exeter
Exeter Technical and University Extension College
Scott and Sons; photographic studio
Pollard; William; photographer
Wykes; Henry; photographer
Elliott and Fry; photographic studio
Pearce; J R; photographer
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021