RepositorySpecial Collections Archives (GB 0029)
Ref NoEUL UA/P/1b/4g-l
Extent4 files plus glass plate negatives and oversize items
TitleUniversity photographs: Streatham campus: halls of residence G-L
DescriptionPhotographs and glass plate negatives of halls of residence on the Streatham campus, with names beginning G-L, comprising the following: Hope Hall (including St. German's Annexe and Lazenby Annexe), Lafrowda and Lopes (including Ransom Pickard and Pennsylvania Court annexes) (arranged individually by file). A detailed description of each hall is given below:

i) Hope Hall
One file of interior and exterior photographs, including study bedrooms, communal areas, staff and students [1920s-1980s]. Also glass plate negatives. Some photographs are under the copyright of J Hinton Lake & Son. Hope Hall was originally named Hartwell House and was acquired in 1915. It was renamed Hope Hall in 1924 after Miss Helen Hope of Bath, whose legacy to Miss C M de Reyes was used to extend the building. There are various annexes: in 1942 and 1946 respectively, Ibsley House and Homefield were acquired and renamed Montefiore Annexe after Mrs Sebag-Montefiore and Lazenby Annexe after Miss K. M. Lazenby, a benefactress of the College. Another nearby annexe is Spreytonway

See also EUL UA/P/5/1 Sharmon photographs

ii) Kilmorie (Exeter Hall)
One file of exterior photographs [1980s]. Also negatives.

iii) Lafrowda
One file of exterior photographs, including the construction process [1970s-1980s]. Also glass plate negatives. The University acquired Lafrowda, a house in St. Germans Road, in 1965 and the flats were built in two phases, completed in 1971 and 1975-1976 respectively.

iv) Lopes
One file of interior and exterior photographs, including communal areas [1960s-1980s] and four strips of photographs on contact sheet, which includes one strip of Thomas Hall. Also glass plate negatives. Lopes Hall, originally called Highlands, opened in 1930 and was renamed after Sir Henry Lopes (later Lord Roborough), successively Deputy President 1922-1936 and President 1936-1938 of the University College of the South West, who was also a generous benefactor of the College. Ransom Pickard annexe was completed in 1967 and named after Colonel Ransom Pickard, a distinguished Exeter physician, vice-president of the College from 1940 until his death in 1953 and a generous benefactor of both College and University.
Access StatusOpen
ArrangementArranged alphabetically in files by name of hall of residence
Creator_NameUniversity College of the South West of England
University of Exeter
J Hinton Lake and Son; photographic studio
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024