RepositoryFalmouth University (GB 3241)
Extent62 Boxes/23.56 Linear Metres
DescriptionThe Collection largely comprises, but is not limited to, marketing and promotional materials for Falmouth School of Art, Falmouth School of Art and Design, Falmouth College of Arts, University College Falmouth to Falmouth University. Particular highlights include: (please note date ranges are not exhaustive):

- Press cuttings, national and international 1970 - 2015
- Prospectuses for various manifestations of the University 1939 - 2015
- Student handbooks covering the period 1988 - 2009
- Exhibition / degree show catalogues and invitations relating to various courses
- External Examiners / Assessors Reports c1980 - 2005
- Summer shows posters and exhibition catalogues 1990s - 2000s
- Promotional materials for various courses including Fine Art, Illustration, 3D Design, Textile Design, Broadcast Journalism, Contemporary Crafts, Garden Design, Photography, Fashion and Film
- Issues of publications created for staff and students, ranging in date from 1976 to 2010
- 35 mm slides including the Visit of HRH Duke of Kent, 1998 Falmouth College of Arts campus slides, publicity shots and exhibition slides
- Research folders for book proposal on the history of the University arranged by decade (pre-1900, then 1900 - 2009). Contains combination of orignal and facsimilie records gathered through research including interviews with key individuals, extracts from minutes, press cuttings
- Documents relating to the potential closure of the College in 1984 and 1986, including correspondence and letters of support
- Some examples of student work
- Papers relating to the Brand Management Group 2004 - 2005, including meeting agendas and minutes, external communications
- Prospectus 2007 proposals
- Marketing and publication guidlines
- Student enrolment/recruitment statistics: Including student target numbers 2004/05. Predicted UK /EU enrolment numbers
- Notes of student recruitment
- UCAS applications and Decisions for 2003/04 admission cycle
- Student questionnaires 2004
- Exhibition Planning Files: Kurt Jackson 2000-2002, Slate Quarry show. Clive Adams, Poltimore Remade, November 2000 with photographs and VHS. Helen Dudley, Painting from Almeria 1999. Foil, private view invitation, negatives and flyer, March 2001.

Please note, this Collection contains limited information on past students and members of staff.
Admin HistoryThe beginnings of what is today Falmouth University can be traced back to the late nineteenth century, when, in the 1870s, Miss Anna Maria Fox, daughter of a respected Quaker Family, founded the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society in Falmouth. The establishment of the Institution was a response to the diminution of scientific activities in the region, which had been brought about by the decline of the Cornish mining industry. In August, 1902, the new Art School in Falmouth was formally opened at its original premises on Arwenack Avenue. Classes that were once held by the Polytechnic Society were now taught here. Initially, the School was a private venture and students were also able to enter for Board of Education exams.

In 1937 the future of the School was in question. There were issues over funding: since it had no Government grant and did not receive support from anyone, it was feared it would have to close. Mr Seaward, the then Principal, announced that he would leave Falmouth, as he could no longer rely on fees for his remuneration. Unless administration was re-ordered, the School would have to close, and therefore in 1938, the Local Education Authority (LEA) took over the administration of the Institution.

In the 1940s, courses became the responsibility of the Head of Truro School of Art. Stanley Wright was appointed Principal, and the School was recognized by the Ministry of Education and began to plan ambitious expansion. By the end of the 1940s there are six full time members of teaching staff responsible for 21 full-time students, 55 part-time students and 104 part-time evening students. Students at this time were studying Fine Art, Architecture and Craft.

In the 1950s, the School relocated from Arwenack Avenue to Kerris Vean in Woodlane. Jack Chalker was appointed Principal in January 1951 and courses for the Ministry of Education's Intermediate and National Diploma in Design Examinations were offered for the first time. Students were offered the option of studying either 'Art' or 'Craft'. 'Art', by definition, covered Fine Art, Drawing and Painting, Museum Studies and Modelling and Casting in clay. 'Craft' included Leather, Weaving, Bookbinding, Block Printing, wood inlay, Textile printing (1953-54), Dress making, embroidery and Toy-making. In 1957 it was proposed that printing presses, type and equipment could be borrowed from Truro School of Art to create a Graphic Design course which would consist of Lettering and Design, Lithography and Printing. Studios for sculpture and printed textiles were constructed in the grounds. The School now occupied a unique site in the former Fox-Rosehill sub-tropical gardens.

In the 1960s Terry Frost and Peter Lanyon were appointed visiting lecturers. 1961 saw the Coldstream Report: this was the first report of the National Advisory Council on Art Education, changing the face of art education. During this time the LEA and leading artists such as Barbra Hepworth, Brian Wynter and Patrick Heron were energetic and generous with their support. In 1963 it was decided that the basic requirements of the National Council could not be met and recognition was not given. In 1965, however, after a visit of the Committee of National Advisory Council, the School gained recognition as a centre for the Diploma in Art and Design, at first with Painting as a main course. Recognition for Sculpture came later. Design became an important aspect of the School's curricula, with Patrick Heron teaching two-dimensional design, and Barbara Hepworth and Bernard Leach teaching three-dimensional design. Photography appeared in the College's academic portfolio for the first time in 1963. In 1966 a new building programme was begun which would provide a printmaking studio, technical workshop, new painting studio and a small sculpture studio with bronze casting facilities.

In the 1970s, the School acquired property opposite the Woodlane site and converted it into a hostel for 21 students. John Barnicoat was appointed Principal, and the School was recognized by the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) as a centre for a three-year programme of study leading to the award of a BA(Hons) degree in Fine Art. In 1976, Tom Cross was appointed Principal and the School continued to develop its resources by improving its sculpture studios and creating a new studio for ceramic sculpture. A purpose-built facility for photography and film was also added.

In 1984, the School was once again threatened with closure, this time by the National Advisory Body for Public Sector Higher Education (NAB), but a rescue campaign is put into action and a reprieve was given. In 1986, the NAB proposed to transfer the Falmouth work to Cornwall College, but again there was bitter opposition. An influential lobby, including senior art staff, County Councillors, Governors and locally based but nationally known artists, as well as international writers and artists such as Terry Frost, Barbara Hepworth, Francis Hewlett, Melvyn Bragg, David Puttnam, Richard Rogers, Iris Murdoch and Bob Organ, was orchestrated and applied pressure on the County Council. The County Council gave in and agreed to a transfer of all the technology based art and design work at Cornwall College to the Fine Art based school at Falmouth. In 1987, the Falmouth School of Art became the Falmouth School of Art and Design, beginning its life under Alan Livingstone as Principal.

In the1990s BA (Hons) degrees were introduced in 3D design, Spatial Design: Interior and Landscape, Textile Design and Film Studies, Studio Ceramics, Broadcasting Studies, Visual Culture (1993) and postgraduate diplomas in Broadcast Television and Professional Writing. The title of the School was changed yet again in 1995 to Falmouth College of Arts. Members of the board supported the use of 'Arts' in the title as an appropriate generic term for the School's existing and future provision. 'Falmouth' was kept in the title to recognise the School's achievement and geographic location. In this year the College also acquired the site at Tremough, where a state of the art Design and Media Centres were opened in the early 2000s.

The University of Exeter's operations in Cornwall were transferred to Tremough in 2004, making Tremough the 'Hub' of the Combined Universities of Cornwall. Also in this year, the Privy Council granted Falmouth the power to award taught degrees under their own name. To mark the new, higher status of the University, the name was changed from Falmouth College of Arts to University College Falmouth in 2005. In 2008 the University expanded further by incorporating Dartington College of Arts. This brought a wealth of exciting new opportunities for students as well as securing the future of Dartington's Performance courses. Dartington students and staff officially moved to Tremough Campus in 2010, into a brand new, state-of-the-art Performance centre. In 2012 David Willetts, Minister for State for Universities and Science, recognised University College Falmouth's status as a full University which was renamed Falmouth University.

Today undergraduate Courses at Falmouth include: Advertising, Fine Art, Illustration, Marine & Natural History Photography, Photography, Press & Editorial Photography, Fashion Photography, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Performance Sportswear Design, Textile Design, Sustainable Product Design, Digital Animation, Drawing, Digital Media, English, Creative Writing, English with Creative Writing, English with Media Studies, Film, Journalism, Dance, Music, Creative Music Technology, Popular Music, Theatre and Music Theatre, Computing for Games, Game Art, Game Development.

Postgraduate Courses include: Business Administration, Creative Advertising, Creative Education, Film and Television, Illustration: Authorial Practice and Professional Writing, Creative Events management, Creative App development, Communication Design, Photography.

Principals (later known as Rector, CEO):

Miss F M Bruford 1902 - 1911, 1918 - 1922
Harry Brown 1912
Arthur E Rendle 1913 - 1918
Miss D V Dunk 1922 - 1923
Dennis Seaward 1923 - 1945
A G Homer (Acting Principal) 1945 - 1947
Stanley L Wright 1947 - 1950
Mr G B Wallace (Acting Principal) 1950 - 1951
Jack Chalker 1951 - 1958
Michael Finn 1958 - 1972
John Barnicoat 1972 - 1976
Tom Cross 1976 - 1986
Alan Livingston 1987 - 2009
Anne Carlisle 2009 to Date.
Access StatusOpen
Related MaterialSee also:
FCP2 - Francis Hewlett Archive
FCP3 - Tom Cross Archive
DCA - Dartington College of Arts Archive
Access ConditionsOpen except for those subject to Data Protection.
Finding_AidsFull box lists available for each accession.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024